Friday, December 6, 2013

Essentials: Fire

I am learning the essentials of boat life from my shipmates.

The first thing I was taught, before anything else, was fire.

The Stove - Where Fire Lives
It is December in Northern Europe. Our boat has no central heating; no switch that you flick for instant, climate controlled warmth. We're on the river.

Without fire this boat would be a very cold place.

The first person home after 4pm is responsible for lighting the fire. Then, coal needs to be laid on the fire every hour on the hour (a rule that is useful; if you come home at 7:30, you know that the fire is ok until 8).

Adding quick burning fuel to heat up the fire
Each of my shipmates so far has shown me different techniques that they use to build, feed and manage the fire. Fire craft is personal - no two approaches are exactly the same.

At the 10 or 11 fire feed, you're looking to have 3 layers of coal. The flue needs to be opened when the coal is laid, and then dampened (with the flue key at a 45 degree angle) once the stove door is closed. This will keep oxygen flowing to the fire, but not as much as when the flue is open, allowing the coal to burn slowly.

The wood has caught and will help the coals to catch
That's how the boat stays warm as we turn in to sleep.

We're reminded of the importance of the fire every morning when we get out of bed.

Lifting up the duvet and climbing to the floor, the boat is about as warm inside as it is outside. Changing out of pajamas and into clothes is done as quickly as possible. Breath steams in the icy air.

It is harder work to stay warm in a home like this - but it is a deeply satisfying chore. Making fire is a communal activity, where we all contribute. Feeding the fire is a little pleasure - when you are feeding it, you are in the warmest place in the entire boat.

I've come to see the fire as both beautiful and useful, and to view my responsibility to is as my first priority when I am home in the evening. With a bit of effort from all of us, I have faith that wintering on the river will be much cozier than I thought possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment